Congratulations Nigerians as SARS has been dissolved as announced by The IGP.
SARS, a police unit, has been accused of extortion, intimidation, and murder of many young Nigerians. (See Here)
Few minutes ago, The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu announced the dissolution of the dreaded police formation, Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS or FSARS). The dissolution is coming on the hills of the #EndSARS protest nationwide.
The IGP made the announcement on Sunday afternoon during a press conference at the force headquarters in Abuja.
The IGP reports directly to the president and could only have taken such decision with President Muhammadu Buhari’s approval or authorisation.
Below are Five (5) Things To Know About The Dissolution Of SARS as published by The Nigeria Police Force.
- The Inspector-General of Police has dissolved the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) across all the Thirty-Six (36) State Commands and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) with immediate effect.
- All officers and men serving in the Unit will be redeployed to other Police commands, Formations and Units.
- A new policing arrangement for tackling the offences of Armed-Robbery and other violent crimes will be unveiled to the public soon.
- A Citizens and Strategic Stakeholders Forum will be launched to provide an avenue for citizens to regularly interface and advise the police authority on issues touching on the general public.
- To deal with the report of crimes committed against citizens, an Investigative Team will be constituted which will include Civil Society Organizations and culprits will be punished.